Philadelphia Live News

collapse
Home / Daily News Analysis / Inter Miami’s Lionel Messi avoids suspension after MLS review of referee incident vs. LAFC

Inter Miami’s Lionel Messi avoids suspension after MLS review of referee incident vs. LAFC

May 22, 2026  Twila Rosenbaum  3 views
Inter Miami’s Lionel Messi avoids suspension after MLS review of referee incident vs. LAFC

Lionel Messi will not face any suspension from Major League Soccer after a thorough review of a postgame incident that occurred following Inter Miami’s 3-0 defeat to LAFC in the 2026 MLS season opener. The league’s disciplinary committee had been examining video footage showing the Argentine star engaging in a heated exchange with referee Pierre-Luc Lauziere near a hallway door at the stadium. However, after speaking with match officials and reviewing the layout of the facility, MLS determined that Messi did not violate any rules regarding restricted access to referee areas.

The incident unfolded immediately after the final whistle, as Inter Miami players and staff headed toward the locker rooms. Multiple videos captured Messi walking through a doorway near the officials, with teammate Luis Suarez attempting to guide him back. At one point, Messi was heard saying to Lauziere, “You have to show respect, and it’s not the first time. Fans can say stupid things, but you can’t…” The exchange drew immediate attention from fans and media, raising questions about potential disciplinary action under MLS’s strict policies on dealings with officials.

The MLS Review Process

Major League Soccer takes incidents involving referee interaction very seriously. Under the league’s rules, any player who enters a restricted area containing the officials’ locker room without proper authorization can face a suspension, typically ranging from one to several games. The most prominent recent case involved Matt Miazga, who was initially suspended for three games after confronting referees in a similar situation, later reduced to one game on appeal. In Messi’s case, the Professional Referee Organization (PRO) communications director Chris Rivett clarified that the door Messi entered was not the entrance to the officials’ locker room. Instead, it led to a corridor that connected to the main locker room area. The real referee locker room was located up a staircase and had a marked entrance with clear signage indicating restricted access.

“After speaking with match officials, we can confirm he did not enter the premises,” Rivett told ESPN, confirming that Messi never crossed into the prohibited zone. This distinction was critical in the league’s decision not to refer the matter to the MLS Disciplinary Committee. Without a violation of the restricted area rule, there was no basis for a suspension. The league also noted that Messi’s words, while intense, did not constitute a direct threat or abusive language severe enough to warrant disciplinary action on their own.

Context of the Confrontation

The incident occurred after a frustrating match for Inter Miami. LAFC, led by South Korean star Son Heung-min, dominated the game, scoring three goals and leaving Messi and his teammates visibly agitated. Several alleged fouls on Messi went unpenalized, including a challenge in the first half that left the Argentine on the ground. Video replays showed possible off-the-ball contact that the referee team missed or waved off. This built-up frustration likely contributed to Messi’s postgame outburst.

Inter Miami head coach Javier Mascherano, when asked about the situation in the postgame press conference, sidestepped the issue. “No, no, I didn’t see anything. Honestly, the match ended and then I went to the locker room,” Mascherano said. However, footage clearly shows Mascherano not far behind Messi in the corridor, though he did not engage with the officials. The coach’s comments may have been an attempt to downplay the incident and shield his star player from further scrutiny.

Messi’s Career and History with Officials

Lionel Messi, widely regarded as one of the greatest footballers of all time, has rarely been involved in controversies of this nature. Throughout his career at Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain, and now Inter Miami, he has maintained a reputation for professionalism and respect toward officials, even when frustrated. However, his move to MLS in 2023 brought new challenges, including adapting to the league’s physical style and varying officiating standards. This incident marks the first time Messi has been officially investigated by an MLS disciplinary body.

Since joining Inter Miami, Messi has transformed the team, leading them to a Leagues Cup title in 2023 and deep playoff runs. The 2026 season opener, however, was a stark reminder that even the best players can have difficult days. The loss to LAFC was particularly painful because it came against a team that had been building its own star power with Son Heung-min’s signing. The defeat dropped Inter Miami to the bottom of the early standings, putting pressure on the team to rebound quickly.

What’s Next for Inter Miami

With Messi cleared of any suspension, Inter Miami can now focus on their upcoming schedule. The team travels to Puerto Rico on Thursday for a match against Independiente del Valle, a rescheduled fixture originally set earlier in the month. The game was moved due to a muscle issue Messi picked up in a previous friendly against Barcelona SC. This match will serve as a crucial test of the squad’s depth and Messi’s fitness.

After the Puerto Rico trip, Inter Miami returns to MLS play on March 1 for the Florida derby against Orlando City. The rivalry match is always highly anticipated, and with Messi available, the Herons will look to earn their first points of the season. The result against LAFC exposed defensive frailties and a lack of cohesion in midfield, areas that Mascherano will need to address quickly. Nonetheless, Messi’s presence on the field provides a psychological boost that no other player can replicate.

The league’s decision to not suspend Messi also reflects a growing recognition of the fine line between passionate frustration and rule-breaking. MLS has been working to balance respect for officials with allowing players to express emotions in high-stakes moments. By treating Messi’s case with nuance, the league may set a precedent for future incidents, emphasizing intent and location over automatic penalties.

As the season progresses, all eyes will remain on Messi and Inter Miami. The team’s performance in the coming weeks will determine whether the LAFC loss was an anomaly or a sign of deeper issues. For now, fans can breathe a sigh of relief that their idol will not be forced to sit out any matches. The show must go on, and Messi will be leading it.


Source: MSN News


Share:

Your experience on this site will be improved by allowing cookies Cookie Policy